Nearpod is an award-winning educational technology company that empowers teachers to create engaging and inspiring learning experiences for students by combining access to digital lessons, interactive features (see our Virtual Field Trips and 3D objects initiatives) and real-time assessments. Nearpod has become a leader - and teacher favorite - in teaching and learning.
Since its launch in 2012, Nearpod has seen wide adoption in the K-12 market; In 2017, teachers from over 60% of U.S. school districts, taught over 2.3 million Nearpod lessons reaching students over 50 million times and engaging them over 250 million times in formative assessment interactions. We have been featured in the Wall Street Journal, Fortune and local news channels across the country.
Nearpod is headquartered in Miami, Florida and is backed by notable investors that include: Insight Venture Partners, Reach Capital, Storm Ventures, the Stanford StartX Fund, the Knight Enterprise Fund, Arsenal Ventures, Marc Benioff (the CEO of Salesforce) and Scott Cook (founder and Chairman of Intuit) and his wife, Signe Ostby.
Location: Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
Position: IT Engineering Manager
- Technology. You are adept at working with, teaching, and supporting business technologies. You have strong system engineering design skills across a variety of technologies and you are committed to learning and supporting new technologies as they come into use.
- Leadership. You are a coach, mentor, and manager. You actively develop team members to grow their strengths and responsibilities. You like to build complementary teams with diverse skills that deliver value with architectural integrity.
- Authoring and Automation. You love documenting and automating any task you might have to repeat. You are able to write clear, repeatable instructions and automating as many of those tasks as possible.
- Monitoring. You understand and promote the value of monitoring across your systems. You add monitoring and metrics necessary to confirm system and business performance across production and business systems.
- Troubleshooting. You aren’t phased by new problems. You have an eagerness to lead the team through troubleshoot system and networking issues. You can also lead the team in crawling back through time and piecing together the indicators of a previous outage.
- Proactive. You don’t wait for problems to be reported. You consider and mitigate risks associated with development, testing, and deployment of Nearpod systems and networks.
- Teamwork. You are team-first in your approach. You seek out mentoring from others, collaborate collectively to solve problems, and have integrity and respect for your yourself, your team, and the company.
8+ years of systems engineering or network engineering experience or 5+ years Nearpod Engineering experience
- All the skills of a Senior Systems Engineer plus:
- Works with software engineering and software development to plan projects and releases using Agile techniques
- Delivers infrastructure to support releases and projects repeatedly on time.
- Has strong relationships with other managers and is well respected.
- Communicates up as well as down keeping senior management well informed of status.
- Excellent management skills within the team, setting an example for other teams
- Coaches and mentors team members to accentuate their strengths
- Actively develops team members to grow their skills and responsibilities
- Able to facilitate high levels of collaboration within and across teams.
- Provides a "sense of mission" for the team
- Exhibits strong communication skills to clearly and simply get messages across to their team and superiors.
- Builds complementary teams that deliver value with architectural integrity
- Makes decisions based on data
- Able to manage conflict, redirecting divisiveness to constructive conflict.
- Consults with other teams on large projects
- Collaborates well with executive management
- Provides insightful guidance to other technical leads and senior systems engineers
- Weekly 1x1s with all team members
- Manages up to 5 directs
- Participates in 1 external hiring event per year
- Delivers Engineering projects and releases in a timely manner
- Teaches Nearpod’s IT Engineering Process
- Interviews Engineering Candidates for Architectural Skills and Culture Fit
- Interviews Management Candidates for Managerial Skills
- Completes technical projects that impact the entire org
Employment Requirements: Must be authorized to work in the U.S. without restrictions
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.