Nearpod is an award-winning education technology company focused on developing digital learning tools, virtual reality and interactive content across mobile devices that provides teachers an easy and efficient way to leverage technology in the classroom by creating learning experiences that engage and inspire students.
Since its launch in 2012 Nearpod has become a leader (& teacher favorite) in teaching and learning with technology. Nearpod currently reaches ~5M students monthly. In 2016 it was named one of Inc. 500’s fastest growing private companies and was featured in the Wall Street Journal, Fortune and local news channels across the country.
Nearpod has offices in Miami, Florida and San Francisco, California and is backed by notable investors like Insight Venture Partners, Reach Capital, Storm Ventures, the Stanford StartX Fund, the Knight Enterprise Fund, Arsenal Ventures, as well as Marc Benioff (the CEO of Salesforce) and Scott Cook (founder and Chairman of Intuit) and his wife, Signe Ostby.
The Vice President, Engineering will be responsible for building, leading, and managing a world class product development process and engineering team; working directly with the CEO. The VPE will be the leader of technical execution and delivery for the product at Nearpod, driving delivery and technical decision making for both local and remote global technology teams, leading across people, process, and technology.
The VPE will have a challenging and varied focus over the day-to-day responsibility for all company product development engineering functions. S/he will recruit, hire, and manage the engineering team through rapid growth and scale, and act as a driver of technical and product thought leadership.
The VPE will engage the current team and implement a proper product roadmap and strategy in line with the growth strategy of the company. S/he will lead efforts to put in place best in class engineering practices. This technology leader will architect, scale, design, and innovate on a sophisticated technology platform to fuel the growth of Nearpod.
- Lead, mentor, and grow a best in class engineering team while working with the executive team to align delivery with the overall strategy of the business.
- Determine and implement product vision and strategy; accountable for delivering results.
- Collaborate with the executive team and stakeholders to communicate product technology strategy, understanding the product and technology needs of the business.
- Own the entire product development lifecycle, including development methodologies, thorough tracking, and quality of the final delivery (including production).
- Implement processes that drive predictable, high quality delivery, ensuring a high-quality experience for customers.
- Determine and implement long term strategic technical direction, owning release delivery, capacity planning, and forecasting.
- Work with go-to-market teams to oversee the competitive landscape and identify customer business and technical needs.
- Define and execute a security plan to protect company assets from internal and external penetration.
- Promote a culture of innovation, collaboration, and customer-facing experimentation.
- An undergraduate technical degree (EE) is required; an advanced technical degree is a plus.
- 7-10+ years of hands-on engineering experience in a high-growth Information Technology or Software Engineering business; experience in education technology a plus.
- 5+ years of management experience with local and remote engineering teams.
- Expert in building real-time scalable multi-platform solutions including web technologies (React, Angular JS, LAMP), mobile (iOS, Android, Apache Cordova), Node.js, AWS.
- Experience scaling solutions with cost impact considerations (cost/benefit)
- Native to the cloud and mobile.
- History of recruiting, mentoring, and developing a best-in-class, high functioning global engineering team.
- Expert in strong software design capability and AB testing.
- Proven success partnering across an organization on accurate delivery and realistic roadmap of the product.
- Trusted leader across the executive team and company as a trusted voice at the decision-making table and an advocate of the user.
- Proven ability to balance strategic thinking with pragmatic operational delivery.
- Outstanding leadership, management, and communication skills.
- High energy and intensity; unfazed in a fast moving and fast changing environment.
- Preferably someone with breadth and depth of technical expertise in the following: React, Angular JS, iOS, Android/Apache Cordova, Node.js, AWS, LAMP, AB testing (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP).
- Spanish fluency preferred but not required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.