Nearpod is an award-winning education technology company focused on developing digital learning tools, virtual reality and interactive content across mobile devices that provides teachers an easy and efficient way to leverage technology in the classroom by creating learning experiences that engage and inspire students.
Since its launch in 2012 Nearpod has become a leader (& teacher favorite) in teaching and learning with technology. Nearpod currently reaches ~5M students monthly. In 2016 it was named one of Inc. 500’s fastest growing private companies and was featured in the Wall Street Journal, Fortune and local news channels across the country.
Nearpod has offices in Miami, Florida and San Francisco, California and is backed by notable investors like Insight Venture Partners, Reach Capital, Storm Ventures, the Stanford StartX Fund, the Knight Enterprise Fund, Arsenal Ventures, as well as Marc Benioff (the CEO of Salesforce) and Scott Cook (founder and Chairman of Intuit) and his wife, Signe Ostby.
Nearpod is searching for a world-class Vice President of Finance whose charter will be to help build and own the financial metrics of the business. Nearpod is expanding rapidly on all fronts and it is imperative that the proper financial and operating infrastructure is built to support and sustain the company through their rapid expansion. The Vice President of Finance will work closely with the senior leadership team to define growth strategies, allocate capital efficiently, define and drive financial metrics to guide the organization through its next growth phase. This executive should have a strong operational bent and ideally has worked in a software company that has experienced a similar growth trajectory.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement programs that improve profitability and drive operational efficiencies in high growth model.
- Direct, mentor and develop the team of finance and accounting employees. Scale the finance, FP&A and accounting functions efficiently and in line with the Company’s size and growth.
- Manage banking and auditing relationships, as well as, payroll, purchasing and contracts.
- Develop and implement tools for ongoing monitoring, analysis, and reporting of business operations.
- Develop monthly, quarterly and annual reports highlighting key financial and business performance and trends.
- Confer regularly with business department heads to offer consultative direction and participate in the continual improvement of the budgeting process by educating department managers on financial issues impacting their budgets.
- Ensure timely and accurate monthly corporate financial reporting, highlighting key financial drivers and trends.
- Ensure that the company’s accounting practices are correct, appropriate, and conform to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Provide oversight and coordination of external audit activities. Ensure that completed financial statements are prepared and completed for outside audit as scheduled annually.
- Serve as executive owner of the company’s financial system. Evaluate use of Quick Books and, if necessary, select and implement a new financial system.
- Participate in the evaluation, diligence and development of new ERP applications and participate in implementations and upgrades as required.
- Experience in high-growth, entrepreneurial environment with intense finance and operational focus. Able to build upon the processes and procedures in place to scale a business.
- Must have strong operations experience. This person will be a perceived leader capable of contributing to both day-to-day tactical goals and long-range strategic planning and other commensurate responsibilities.
- Software industry experience, including a solid knowledge of software revenue recognition principles is preferred. Experience in a SaaS business would be ideal.
- Experience working with venture capital and/or private equity firms is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.