Nearpod is an award-winning education technology company focused on developing digital learning tools, virtual reality and interactive content across mobile devices that provides teachers an easy and efficient way to leverage technology in the classroom by creating learning experiences that engage and inspire students.
Since its launch in 2012 Nearpod has become a leader (& teacher favorite) in teaching and learning with technology. Nearpod currently reaches ~5M students monthly. In 2016 it was named one of Inc. 500’s fastest growing private companies and was featured in the Wall Street Journal, Fortune and local news channels across the country.
Nearpod has offices in Miami, Florida and San Francisco, California and is backed by notable investors like Insight Venture Partners, Reach Capital, Storm Ventures, the Stanford StartX Fund, the Knight Enterprise Fund, Arsenal Ventures, as well as Marc Benioff (the CEO of Salesforce) and Scott Cook (founder and Chairman of Intuit) and his wife, Signe Ostby.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are seeking a hands-on Controller to ensure that Nearpod’s accounting function continues to scale and support the company’s rapid growth. The right individual for this role is a proven, strategic finance leader with a passion toward operational excellence, great attention to detail and proven ability to work successfully with senior leadership. This position reports to the VP of Finance and is responsible for leading the accounting, cash management and tax activities and will implement the controls, processes and systems to enable us to meet operational, reporting and audit requirements as we scale.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership and support to the company; enable strong performance against strategic, financial, and operational goals
- Establish and create best of breed financial/accounting processes and internal controls in accordance with US GAAP to support the scaling of the business
- Manage the month end close process with a focus on continuous process improvement in order to reduce the time it takes to close the books while maintaining the highest accounting quality
- Plan and manage timely filing of tax returns and other statutory filings
- Manage company’s annual audits
- Oversee activities related to traditional general accounting functions, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management, general ledger, etc.
- Provide leadership/mentorship to the Accounting team. Demonstrate the ability to lead by example, including a roll up your sleeves mentality when needed
- 7+ years of progressive accounting management experience, including experience at a major public accounting firm
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance. CPA certification strongly preferred
- SAAS or marketplace background preferred
- Strong understanding of GAAP, including revenue recognition
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, exposure to FP&A is preferred
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal, with strong presentation skills
- Strong leadership and management skills, with proven experience in mentoring and growing skills of direct reports
- Ability to work across the organization with a focus on ensuring the company is capable of scaling efficiently and with adequate controls
- Self-directed, proactive with ability to multi-task